August 8, 2010

Five!








 All birthdays should last at least a week, don't you think?

There is something solid and substantial about five--like it's the age that begins his "real" personhood. Of course, that's silly--he has been Mr. Personality forever-- but it does feel bigger somehow. Maybe it's the association with Kindergarten or maybe it's that he is practically as tall as his mother. Whatever the case, we have arrived at five and it's wonderful!


As is our custom, we began the day with flowers and cupcakes and presents. Rudy is now the proud owner of three graphic novels (aka comic books), and a very cool youth microscope that he and Paul have been having a great time with.

I kept him home from school so we could spend a special Mama & Rudy Day like we did last year. I hope to do this with both the kids for as long as they allow it.

Rudy's requests for the day were 1. Soft pretzel with mustard, 2. Sushi and 3. Pizza. So, we began our adventures at the Philly Pretzel Factory around 10am, and then wandered around downtown. We visited our favorite bookstore where Rudy found a colorful book about Tutankhamun that we looked at for a while.



By that time, we were ready for lunch, so headed up the block to Say Sushi, the restaurant where Paul and I pretty much fell in love. As we walked, I told Rudy all about how his father and I were such regulars there that the wait staff would see us coming and put out our favorite appetizers and tea before we even walked in the door. He seemed really excited to be eating in a "real" restaurant, and I was too, though also a little leery; the last time we had sushi he basically rejected it.

Not so this time!
miso soup is yummy

The Last Roll and Rudy offered it to me. What a sweetie.

We ate salmon, tuna and yellowtail sushi, plus California roll. (I let him have the last one.)










red bean ice cream on the house for the birthday boy!    
goofy kid
he had me laughing so hard
Rudy said, "This is the BEST birthday EVER!"
After lunch, we visited the library for a little while--it was nice to just sit in the air conditioning on such a hot day--and then drove out to the dollar theater to see Shrek 4, which was really pretty scary! He sat in my lap almost the whole time. We ate popcorn and he had his first sip of Coke--something we never buy both for health reasons and also because we don't really like soda. But sometimes, it's just the perfect thing....

these shots were before the film started
this one would make a good advertisement for the movie

It was a fantastic day. It feels beyond wonderful to share company with him as he gets more and more interesting, more and more fun. More himself. I know I'm his mother, but really--what a great kid.

After our long day out, we returned home to have (what else?) pizza with Auntie Cindy. And then one more cupcake before bed and the day was complete.

Happy birthday to our beautiful, goofy, super-smart, sweet and sensitive guy! We love you! xoxoxo

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

That last shot had me giggling. What a big boy he is!