August 24, 2008

Vacation Lands

Summer vacation is officially over as classes start tomorrow! It always goes by too fast, but this year we were lucky to get to travel twice to be with family, which is a rare treat given how far-flung we all are.

First, we drove east into the Finger Lakes region of New York to join Oma and Opa and Stephen and Laurie and Julia on Lake Keuka for a week in early June. This really was a treat because we had yet to meet the lovely Julia, though Laurie and I had been on the phone constantly in those early months while both girls suffered from reflux AND dairy/soy intolerance. What are the odds? It was wonderful to see the cousins together. Such cuties! Here they are with Oma and spoons.

The house was right on the lake, as you can see here, and Rudy's favorite activity by far was to be down on that pier, or on the beach next to it throwing rocks into the water. I mean he spent hours doing this. Here he takes a break to chat with Oma and dunk his feet. The water was pretty cold.

Here's Josephine riding around on Paul's head. Right before she stuck her fingers into his eye sockets to get a better grip! I do have a picture of that, but it's just not one you'd want to share.




She is most definitely our water baby!


Reading books with Oma



Blowing bubbles with Opa


Opa's oatmeal is the yummiest!


One family on the lake...

And another!

We took a drive all the way around Keuka Lake on our last day there, and got out to stretch our legs in this cute little town, the name of which I am forgetting. Perfect chance for a wonderful family photo! (Laurie and I are behind the cameras.)




The second trip was down to Florida to see my grandparents last weekend. Here is the momentous occasion: Josephine Squillante meets Josephine Squillante for the first time! I have to say, I got pretty choked up by this.





Grandpa made a big impression on Josephine. He was able to make her laugh almost right away. Again, wonderful beyond words to see this.



Grandpa also made a big impression on Rudy. Here they are playing, "I'm gonna GET YOU!" It was complete bedlam and Rudy adored it, going back again and again to get "trapped" in grandpa's arms.


Gram and Rudy
See what the balloon says?



We took the kids to the memorial garden where my dad is buried. (right up the block from the house.) Rudy is starting to ask questions but still doesn't really understand who or where Grandpa Rick is. That's okay, it will come. In the meantime I told him this was a special place I go to think about and remember my dad. When he asked me where Grandpa Rick is, I told him he is in our thoughts, our hearts and our memories. That sounds about right to me.


These are some great smiles!


Me and my Gram. She's so tiny now, but still rides her bike to the store three times a week. Amazing, strong woman.



Me and my Gramps. This may be my new favorite picture.

So where was Paul all this time? Behind the camera a lot. And also, in the hot tub! Well, more like luke warm tub, but full of bubbles nonetheless.

Something tells me he doesn't want to get out...

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

Hmmm, we told K the same things about my uncle - it seemed right to me too. I love all the pics and seeing the extended family. I like playing "who does Sheila look like?" The floating head of Paul is great and I love all the smiles on the kiddies.