
Yesterday a beautiful bouquet of yellow tulips and purple irises arrived from my lovely children (who had some help from their lovely father who knows irises are my forever-favorite), and today Paul arranged for Megan to come over so we could get out and have a picnic brunch. The weather didn't cooperate, though--it was way too cold and windy for an outside meal--so we went to Wegmans and bought all sorts of noshy foods--olive bread, prosciutto, tabouleh, dolmas, fresh pineapple, pizza and dark chocolate bars for dessert--and had our picnic right there in the cafe. My favorite way to eat!
It was both delicious to dine and delicious to just be out, and I only felt a little guilty that I was so enjoying spending Mother's Day away from my children. But the point was to recharge a little, and indeed I did. And indeed I needed it. Both of them have terrible colds and last night I took Josephine to the ER with an ear infection. Poor sleepless kiddos and their sleepless, grumpy parents.
I had wanted to post something thoughtful and reflective about how it is to be a mother of two, but honestly, I'm just too tired to be profound. Let's leave it at this: even with ear infections and grumpiness and no sleep, I could eat them both right up!
I'm so glad these are my kids and I get to be their mother. I'm so glad this is my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment