November 25, 2010

Happy Birthday Josephine!

Requisite Pink Cake

Yes, I know today is Thanksgiving, but I need to record Josephine's birthday before it gets away from me. At this point, who knows if I'll ever tell you about Halloween. Maybe in June.

So our baby turned three last week! And I do like to think of her as our Thanksgiving baby, since she was born two days before the holiday, and because by the time we get to this dreary, brown part of the year, she is like a personal blast of sunshine for which we are all intensely grateful.

blueberry pancakes for birthday breakfast
The last few months have seen huge developmental leaps for her, both in language and in imagination. She has always liked to play with dolls and make up stories about their little lives, but lately she's just gone nuts with it. She can spend a good amount of time by herself in her bedroom, moving her little people around and embellishing their world with adventures cooked up in her own noodle. She even does voices! (Which, for some reason, are all several octaves lower and ten times scratchier than her own.)

A not great shot of her beloved doll house.

A few months ago I picked up a vintage (it kills me that things made in the late 80's are now considered vintage, but there you have it.) Little Tikes doll house, which is now beautifully appointed with the period-appropriate accessories and people. Thank you, Oma, Opa & Grandma!


On her actual birthday, we invited Aunt Cindy over for a spaghetti dinner and lots of goofing around....



She's a good sport, that Aunt Cindy.
sluuuuurp
It was a nice, mostly quiet day, and we are going to have a little tea party for her when everyone gets back from the holiday break. Grandma was good enough to provide the consummate Fancy Pants Dress while she visited a few weeks ago:

With matching baby doll dress!
As has become our custom, I took Josephine out for a little date, just the two of us. We went first to Goodwill to find dress up clothes, and scored many pink things including a princess dress, a pink purse, bangle, feather boa scarf and basket. Dress up is a Big Deal around here. I don't have pictures of that particular get-up yet, but I'll post them when we do.

Shopping is hard work, and we definitely needed smoothies after that. So down to Irvings we went, where Jose had what they call an "SOB," or Strawberry, Orange, Banana smoothie. We took it downstairs where they have a fireplace, and read some books on the comfy couch. 


Pondering a pickle
Something about this picture reminds me a lot of my gorgeous niece, Lauren, when she was little.
More silly faces...
fish face is a new favorite....

Like I was saying. (she actually took this one herself and directed our pose!)

Besides goofy and directorial, Josephine has also entered a new, more adamant phase of stubborn. "No. Hmmh. NO!" complete with arms crossed over her chest, foot stomp and deep scowl. Also, screaming. Boy can that girl scream--especially when her brother is somehow offending. (which is often lately.) Take for instance the daily ride home from school, when, from nowhere and with a clarity that makes me grip the steering wheel in panic, "NO! RUDY! YOU CAN'T LOOK OUT MY WINDOW!" Poor guy. Sometimes he *is* provoking her, but in this case we try to explain to her that the windows are really for everyone.

I feel like I should find some other adjectives to describe her personality. Words besides, "industrious," "independent," "empathic," "stubborn," and "joyous," but they are still apt and even deepening as she grows. She is most definitely herself. Dreary November needed Dazzling Josephine and so do we. So does the world, I think. But, then, I'm her mom; I might be just a little bit biased.

Happy birthday, Josie Posie! We love you.

Where did you come from, you perfect little creature?

No comments: