This is Wolverine. He is exceptionally cool. Rudy likes him so much that he wanted to dress like him for Halloween. (We couldn't find a costume, so he went as Hulk instead.)
Cool and beloved though he may be, Wolverine has seen his last day in this family, because Rudy chose, of his own accord, to donate him to "kids who don't have as much" as he does!
For the last couple of years we've been mulling the idea of encouraging the kids to offer up some toy they've lost interest in or grown out of at the holidays. We want to teach them the value of charity and the virtue of generosity. But up until this year, they just weren't ready to receive that lesson. I had my doubts about this year, too, so approached carefully, suggesting that there could maybe be one old toy, somewhere in the bowels of the basement, covered in dust and cobwebs that he wasn't playing with anymore that he might consent to give up...
To our great surprise and delight, he immediately offered Wolverine. Heartened (but still cautious), I suggested to both of them that the next day we look through some other toys--"baby toys," I called them, again trying to minimize the fear of letting go and shamelessly capitalizing on their love of being "big kids." I can't believe how well this went! They were both completely thrilled to look through several boxes of toys, and helped make a "give away" pile and a "keep" pile. I made sure they knew that we would not give away anything they weren't ready to let go of. It would be their decision entirely.
| Goodbye, annoying Elmo Potty Time Book! |
You can't see it very well, but this an 18 gallon tub completely filled with toys! We were so proud of them. I brought the box to Goodwill and when I came home, we wrote letters to Santa.
Josephine needed some coaching, but insisted on signing her full name. So cute. Later she clarified that by "teddy bear," she really meant "polar bear." I'll need to send Santa an addendum.
Here's Rudy's. He's really working on his handwriting now, and I can see it becoming more fluid and confident. But the thing that blew me away was item #1 above. We told the kids they could ask Santa for three things, and the first thing Rudy asked for was a "toy mouse for Simon," our cat! I reminded him that he only got three things, and asked if he was sure. He was!
| Rudy letter, page 2 |
Here they are, cooperating on a city of blocks. And then happily demolishing it, of course. Lots of fun.
Which reminds me of this moment from when Jose was seven months old. Look at her tiny, curl-less head! Rudy was younger than she is right now. Crazy.
We ended the day with our friends Kathy and Mike and their boys, Gabe and Nat. We haven't gathered in quite a while--since summer, I think--and it was nice to spend time with them. Though, we went into it with a little trepidation: play dates have not always gone entirely smoothly. Rudy and Gabe are both really sensitive little guys...
| Rudy wearing his "Friday outfit"--dinosaur pants, rock & roll shirt, and Spider Man light up sneakers |
...but tonight they played beautifully together! Jose had fun, too:
And the adults had lovely glasses of wine by the fire. I wish we had a fireplace.
Santa? Are you listening?

No comments:
Post a Comment