Rudy has joined Josephine up at her preschool, and they now both attend five days a week for five hours per day. It's going well! She has always loved school, so all the better. And he is thriving on the increased structure and longer hours. We've decided he'll stay there for a Pre-K year starting in September--it just seems like the best idea given his young age and anxieties. He's making some great strides socially, and I bet we'll see much more of that between now and this time next year.
So they go to school and I wander around the house not sure what to do with five whole hours! Well, not really. That might have been true for the first few days, but I've settled into a kind of routine with writing and other small projects around the house that have been languishing, untended.
A few weeks ago, I took the kids to CT for five days alone. My first solo trip! It was hectic, I won't lie, but I'm glad we did it. We went to celebrate Michael and Aleks' high school and college graduations (wow!), and we stayed in my old apartment in New Haven with Heidi, who made us feel so cozy and at home. She gave up her bed for the kids, who slept together quite happily, though not without lots of giggling and horsing around before bed. Cute.
Josephine & Auntie Heidi--look at those blue eyes! On both of them!
J was delighted by these kitty toys.
Doesn't he look about 16 years old? Yeesh.
I love this mischievous look...
It was so lovely to be back in that beautiful apartment, drinking coffee on the porch with Heidi, catching up for the first time in years. Completely decadent! And the kids were really well behaved in a pretty small space. I was proud of them. They are both very good travelers. I re-learn this every time we take a new trip. It's the adults who get anxious and weary!
Same toys, different day.
As good as it was to see old friends and family--we got to see Aunt Cath and Lauren, too--it was even better to come home. Both kids caught croup at the tail end of the trip, and then Rudy ended up with Hand-Foot-and-Mouth disease AND an ear infection. I hope all this sickness means healthy kids once we hit grade school.
The Big News Flash of the moment is...
JOSEPHINE HAS POTTY-TRAINED HERSELF.
We had nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with this. She just decided she was quite done with diapers. And that was that. She's like that in pretty much all ways. Single-minded and forward-moving. I can't begin to say how much I love to see these qualities in her. She teaches me something about tenacity, and also about kindness (she is so, so kind) every day.
So that's the summer-so-far update. Tomorrow night we'll go see the fireworks, and maybe on Monday I'll be taking Rudy to see his first movie in an actual movie theater. He's working on being more independent himself, and I told him I'd take him if he had a good three-day stretch with a "Can-Do" attitude. I think he's going to make it!
An now, Popsicles!
She Who Prefers to Be Naked at All Times
Happiness.











No comments:
Post a Comment