Josephine turned two years old on November 20th, and with all we were going through this fall--happenings both happy and sad--I just didn't get to write this up for her. It's no secret to anyone: I am way behind on a lot of things.But happenings, sad or otherwise, do nothing to slow time or a growing, jumping, climbing, singing, goofing-around little girl! Slow is simply not a word that applies here.
Josephine at Webster's Bookstore Cafe, the morning of her birthday, while her brother was at school. We had a lovely mama-n-daughter breakfast of muffins and chocolate milk, and then perused the kid section, reading and playing. And in her case, trying to climb the red mailbox post above.
And she was patient for the requisite "Mother with Daughter Birthday Portrait." Luminous, isn't she?
Different day, but same idea. Rudy at school, mama and Josephine out at a coffee house.
She is wonderful company--good-natured and good-tempered (usually), funny and interested in the people around her. Josephine, the child we used to call "serious," will say hello to anyone. Will give hugs and kisses to anyone. She has grown, in these two small years, into a kind and empathic little creature. She is the one who offers to kiss our boo-boos when we get hurt. The one who brought me to tears at the dinner table the other night by saying, unbidden, " Mama, thank you for this food." She is the one who patted my back last week and said, "Don't worry, Mama" when I was indeed worrying at that very moment about something she knew nothing about. She is tuned in to the mood of the family at all times (something I admit also worries me a little) and goes out of her way to make sure we are all okay.
And sometimes, we're not okay. This fall, for instance, has been a sad one for our family. But even the pain of losing people I love--my grandmother, in particular--is made milder by the presence of this purely joyful imp I get to call my daughter. I don't know how I got so lucky.
And she has great fashion sense, too.
We love you, Josie-Posie! Happy Birthday!
No comments:
Post a Comment