August 4, 2009
Dear Rudy,
I can hear you bouncing around your room upstairs, protesting the bedtime ritual as always. Papa, if I know him, has been suckered into reading you an extra story, or else into singing the alphabet backwards, twice, to get you to consent to sleep. I don't blame you, really. Your day today, like all days, was full of stuff to know and learn, to resist and accept and puzzle over. It's a lot to settle down from, isn't it?
This morning, when you came out of your room, you had a puzzled look on your face and said, "But Mama, I'm not taller." I promise, you are growing, even if it seems imperceptible to all of us. We turn around one day and you are looking out over the tops of all your friends' heads! Almost mine, too. Almost, but not yet.
Rudy, I had such a good time with you today on our "Just Rudy & Mama Date"--to the Goodwill to try on silly hats, to Baby's for whimpy burgers, french fries and a vanilla milkshake with two straws. Joyous, our waitress (yes, that really was her name; I asked!) came to the table to take our order and you bubbled up: "I'm four years old today!" She was charmed. We are all positively charmed by you. The man at the Farmer's Market let you pick out your own tomato (a yellow "pineapple" heirloom was your choice) and congratulated you on your astute preference for the sugar-sweet orange minis to the red ones in the next crate. You know what you like.
And you know how to make us laugh! How about your "Stand Dance?" "Hey, Mama!" you said, wanna see my stand dance?" And then you stood, unmoving while the music moved around you, but with the goofiest grin that said, "I totally know how funny this is." You were right. It was hilarious.
You're still struggling with some stuff, though, kiddo. I know you worry about things--a lot of things--and I understand what that feels like. But I promise that preschool will be great fun if you give it a chance, and that I am never, ever going to leave you anywhere for good. I will always be back to get you.
You are going to make heaps of friends! You are already doing that at the park, and even though your good buddy Sebby moved away, we can still send him emails and tell him about how you roughhouse with your sister. He will probably be doing the same with his! Gabe and Nat are still here, though, and you have been having a lot of fun with them, too. And Lily is back from Colorado and Josephine is catching up quick. Pretty soon she'll be able to play with you and your superheros all the time. Please don't hog Iron Man. She likes to push his button too.
It's going to be a great year.
You are a super kid, Rudy, and Papa and I are so happy that we get to live with you and be your parents! Thank you for making our world so vibrant and surprising every day. We love you.
Happy Birthday!
xo,
Mama
1 comment:
Happy birthday kiddo! Hope you have a great year!
Post a Comment