It's the
other Josephine S.'s birthday today-- "87 years young," she told me on the phone this morning. When I asked her what she was doing to celebrate, she told me she had just finished cleaning the toilets. When I told her that was an unsatisfactory birthday activity and that she should "relax a little," she laughed and said, "Relax? What's THAT?" No kidding, Gram. This is the woman who rides her bike to the store every week and who still has the energy to wash the windows (from the outside!), do the gardening and keep her house cleaner than, well, practically anywhere. I gave up trying to keep up with her long ago!
So, in celebration of my spunky, industrious grandmother, here is a picture of her with Rudy when he was Josephine's age.

She was delighted to get a phone call from Solana Beach this morning and called me to tell me about it before I had had a chance to call her. She's even ahead of me on her own birthday! Next month, I will fly to Florida so the two formidable Josephines can meet each other. And while I'm there mom and I will do the cleaning and the cooking and make her relax if I have to sit on her. And knowing her as I do, it just might come to that.
Happy Birthday, Gram!
No comments:
Post a Comment