April 20, 2008

5 Months Old!




Dear Josephine,

You are five months old today and I have been very bad at keeping my promise to write monthly letters to you in the pretty yellow book I bought just for that purpose. I had good intentions, sweetie, but your papa and I have been so focused on getting you to this point that we haven't had a lot of time to reflect on the process. So today, let me tell you some things about your first five months of life.

I am watching you dance around the living room to Belle & Sebastian with your papa. Big smiles on both of your faces and you have me laughing! Things are so much better these days. It's spring and we've discovered that you love being outside in the sunshine. Calms you right down. Papa jokes that maybe you got the sporty Wachenfeld genes. You are certainly incredibly physical, even at this early moment in your life. Strong, solid, muscular even. You love to bounce and be upright. We also call you "Abs of Steel" because I swear you are about to do a full sit-up. We both think you're going to crawl early. It's wonderful to watch you finally having some control over your world after so many months of bodily chaos.

Even though you have my last name, you look exactly like your brother and your father. People used to say your brother was a "mini Paul," but you look even more like him if that's possible. You all have those ridiculously big blue eyes. Gorgeous, all of you.

You have recently discovered the cats, your brother, and your toes, and each brings you delight, though only your toes fit in your mouth.

People ask us all the time what your nickname is, or they simply refer to you as "Josie" or "Joey." I don't correct them because I like all of these terms of affection just fine. But around here, we call you by your full formal name because every time we tried on something shorter, it just didn't sound right. Even Rudy insists on it. You have a seriousness about you--maybe because of what you've been through already, or maybe it's just who you are. Maybe someday it will feel right to call you Jo or Fina or Joey or Josie, but for now, you are our Josephine. Serious, real and very much loved by your family. (Including your brother!)



Love,
Mama






2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Happy five months little one! I love the picture on the top. Such a sweetheart!

KateFZ said...

This made me cry! :-)