A few posts ago I arrogantly proclaimed Josephine to be feeling better. But the last few days have told a very different story. On Saturday night she screamed during the whole of our visit to our friend Julia's house for dinner. On Sunday she cried so hard while we were out on our first date since her birth that our sitter, Megan, actually called to have us come home early.
We've been a little baffled, honestly, but tonight it finally dawned on us what the culprit could be. Cheese. Or more to the point, dairy in general. A few weeks ago I went on an elimination diet--all dairy and all soy products (these being two of the top offenders in terms of reflux aggravation) --to see if it would help improve her symptoms. For nearly two full weeks I ate absolutely nothing that had even trace amounts of dairy or soy protein in it. And yes, she seemed to get better.
But this was also the first two weeks of her Prevacid journey, so I assumed her improvement was due to the medication, not the diet. I may have made a mistake.
On Wednesday we are taking her to see a pediatric gastroenterologist and we'll discuss it further then. In the meantime, I am going to re-eliminate all the major dairy items from my life. And believe me, they are legion.
2. Rudy
I hate to say this, but it looks like Rudy's napping days are over. He has been skipping his normal 2 hour siesta several times a week for a few months now, and over the last week has been resisting it almost daily. I suppose it's the right time for him developmentally, but I will admit I am dreading not having that time in the afternoon to attend to something other than the Toddler Vortex.
We have been trying to introduce "quiet time" in lieu of nap time, the idea being that he would stay in his room and read books. But so far, no dice. He has figured out that he can open the door to his room, come to the top of the stairs and yell down, "I'm not tired, mama! Because I'm angry! Because I'm hungry! Because I'm sad! Because I want pretzels!" (He's also trying on emotions and conjunctions right now.)
So, we'll dial his bedtime back by an hour and see how things develop. Wish us luck because this picture is a good representation of his general state of being on napless days:
2 comments:
Rudy is soooo cute in this picture, even with that puckish look on his face. -Cindy
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that Josephine is back to feeling crappy. Sounds like you have a good handle on what the problem may be. Good luck! I'll be thinking about you!
Post a Comment