February 12, 2011

Yes, It's Procrastination, But it's the Kids So It's Okay

I seem to be  back to the once-a-month update here. I had really hoped to do better, but...oh, anyway. You all know what I'm about to say. Really I should be grading right now, but refer to post title above.

So instead, a quick family update followed by some fantastic kid pictures that Paul took. I am teaching two classes (one creative writing, one freshman comp) and Paul is teaching four (three in Philosophy, one for English), and there aren't enough hours in the week to get the grading done (not to mention housework, errands, kid and grown-up fun), so we are in a perpetual state of !@%$!!! around here. (I'm not sure how to pronounce that, either.)

Last weekend I traveled to D.C. for the yearly AWP conference--where the writers gather and peacock around. I had fun, saw lots of friends I haven't seen in years (some who I only see at this conference), and ate some incredible Afghani food (a first for me and I hope not a last), including these incredible leek dumplings in a meat, yogurt and mint sauce called aushak.

I was also there to meet informally--not sure I can use the word "interview"--with a search committee from my undergraduate college who are in the process of hiring a director for their MA program in creative writing.  I found out about the job at quite the last minute, and scrambled to put together my application materials, hoping to impress. I think I *did* impress, at least personally. It was so great to catch up with one of my favorite English profs from college after all this time! But, I'm still unsure where I stand with regard to being considered for the position. Nerve-wracking, but this is the nature of academic job search, I suppose. We'll see how it all shakes out, but regardless I am now actively watching the job list.

Paul stayed with the kids while I was away, and while Josephine was sick...and then, of course, he got sick. REALLY sick, for Paul. Nasty sinus infection that just creamed him. But we had dorky fun with our new iphones, procured just before I left, texting each other like teenagers.

Me: "Boy are these poets pleased with themselves. I can't believe the hotel is charging $8 for a half a grapefruit!"

Him: "Josephine just leaped off the couch and landed on the cat. Please, please, please, WHEN are you coming home?"

Anyway, the upshot of that being Paul actually has his own cell phone, finally! And I have no idea what the number is because it is programmed in my phone. Ah, technology.

As for the kids, they're both doing what siblings are supposed to do--wildly shifting between loving each other and tackling each other. It's a good thing Jose is so scrappy because Rudy is built like a 5 year old linebacker. Solid as stone.









Josephine: happily singing Twinkle Twinkle
Rudy: "Josephine, you DO realize, that stars are nothing more than balls of burning gas, right?"

No comments: