This post has nothing to do with the holidays, but here in the lull between the Christmas and New Year's festivities, it seemed like an okay time to depart from kid news and check in with the parents...
As you know, we now live in a two-artist household: one writer and one visual artist. I'm happy to report that, so far, all remains harmonious, egos still in check!
In all seriousness, Paul continues to experiment with digital photography with great success. He's even sold a few prints via his etsy storefront and has added some new pieces there as well.
As for me, I'm closing out the writing year with some great news: an essay I published at Literary Mama has been nominated for inclusion in the Best American Essays series! This is a great honor, and affirms my recent realization that, for the time being, I need to focus my writing energies on finishing my memoir. Which is not to say I'm giving up on poetry, just shifting gears a bit. (I have restarted my writing blog here, if anybody wants to follow along with my progress. There is a recent post about a certain fruitcake that I adore...)
Paul and I are both putting together applications for summer residencies at a few artist colonies. Ideally, we'd each be accepted somewhere for a 2-week stint, and we'd stagger the timing so one of us would be home with the kids. These places are super competitive, but I think Paul has a really good shot at getting in. For one, they tend to pay close attention to emerging artists who are first-time applicants. But also, and more to the point, he is just that talented. I don't know what kind of chance I've got this time around, but we'll see. Cross your fingers for us!
This concludes the parent-news portion of the blog. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled precocious kid programming.
No comments:
Post a Comment