Last weekend we visited the annual Insect Fair hosted by the Penn State Entomological Department. I wouldn't say it was our most successful outing--both kids were sort of grouchy and resistant--but it had its moments and it's always nice to take advantage of the great stuff the university has for kids and the community.
So, not the greatest outing nor the greatest selection of pictures, but it's a taste, anyway!
| Rudy is a splendid butterfly. (Josephine would not stand still for her turn.) |
| Proof that she was there at all. (on top of Papa's shoulders, I think.) |
| Do you see what's in his hand? |
| This is as close as Rudy would let me get to Randy the Tarantula Guy. |
| Hive. Very cool. |
Paul took some pictures of Leopard slugs, but I couldn't bear to post them. They were just that gross. We saw Walking Sticks and giant hissing cockroaches that were being sold to kids as pets. NO THANK YOU.
They almost lost me for good at the table with the incredible amber jewelry. I cannot resist at least drooling over such gorgeous baubles!
There was also a concession stand selling things like moth larva quesadillas and of course the classic chocolate-covered grasshoppers. I think I might have partaken in something (maybe), but by that time the kids were ready to go. So we got some ice cream and headed home. I have a feeling that another year will make the difference between the kids being simply tolerant of and being actually interested in the fair. Or, Rudy, anyway. Honestly, even with the gross-out factor, I could have spent hours there. Fascinating creatures!
1 comment:
I love that fair - so much fun!
Post a Comment