March 27, 2009

California Dreamin'


At the beginning of the month, we traveled to Solana Beach for Opa's 70th birthday celebration. It was a rare and wonderful treat to have all the aunts, uncles and cousins together in the same place, and I was really excited to see Rudy and Josephine interact with Marie's and Stefan's kids. Rudy had SO much fun playing with Kaja and Erik. Watching them at one point I remembered what it felt like to be with my cousins when I was young, and I felt so happy for them. Somehow, I have no pictures to document it. Neither do I have very many here of the rest of the family. I definitely failed at the job of family photograher. Oh well, I know there were other cameras clicking away.

Since it has been so very long since I posted pictures, I'm going to do that today with minimal commentary, and the next post will be more substantive about the kids and what they are up to these days.

Josephine in Oma's sunny kitchen.

Rudy and the cacti.

I'll be honest and say that I took this picture for the jasmine arbor, not for my delightful son! Oh, the jasmine. I've been in love with it since my first trip here before Paul and I got married. I've never been one for heavy, heady floral scents, but jasmine is now the exception. For me, it is the smell of relaxation. I even found some essential oil when we got home that I now dab on myself whenever I am particularly stressed out. Which is to say, most days. :)

Jasmine detail

This was Josephine's first trip to the ocean. I would say she pretty much conquered it.


Rudy eating sand. Hmm. I thought he was over that.


Beach baby



Soaking wet and sandy beach baby.

Baby Stare-Down, or Bath with Cousin Julia




Rudy's "mean shark face" at the Birch Aquarium

Rudy's "nice shark face." I asked him why the shark was happy now and he said, "Because he had a snack."

Yes, yes. I know. It's the cheesy Christmas card photo op.


Uncle Stefan and the kids play in the water table. It had boats and currents and stuff. Of course I don't have a picture of that part...

Crazy children locked in a shark cage.

Josephine looks at the fishies.


Opa's birthday luncheon. Silverware! Sugar substitute! Also called, how to keep a 15 month old entertained.


Auntie Laurie, baby Julia (who is of course not a baby anymore, but we're in the habit of calling her that still.) and cousin Nina.


Rudy's so subtle about his mood.


Rudy and Josphine, watching for the train...

No comments: