February 20, 2009

15 Months!


Well here she is! This picture is a perfect representation of our Josephine's impish personality and irrepressible spirit. In the past month two new developments:

1. Tantrums! Oh my. We have the classic throw-self-onto-floor-and-scream-with-rage thing going on here. This is new for us as Rudy was more of a burst-into-pitiful-sobbing tantrumer. Honestly it's kind of hard not to laugh when it happens; it's just that dramatic.

2. We are weaned! It's been 8 days since our last nursing session, the night before I left for a three-day conference in Chicago. She seems just fine, though sleep has not yet magically resolved itself as I had kind of hoped. Still, it's a HUGE step for both of us and while I'm glad to be done, I'm also very glad we made it this far.

Paul graded his first solo parenting weekend as a "B." Not bad! (though I have students who would insist that they deserve and "A" just for showing up.)

You can probably tell by my infrequent posting how busy things are around here. Josephine is incredibly fast and active and loves to wrestle with her (much) bigger brother. I have constant day-mares about concussions and split lips. I just hope I'm ready when it happens.

We are getting ready for our trip to California for Opa's birthday next week, and then to a much anticipated rest during spring break the week after.

It's 12:30 AM and Paul is reading Josephine--who has been up for an hour and counting now--a story about a mouse at Christmas. No, now he's up chasing her into the dining room where she is climbing the chairs. We are, as so often is the case for us at this hour of night, waiting for her to poop so she can go back to sleep.

Ah, the inconveniences of the body. Ah, the exhaustion of middle-aged parents.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So adorable! I guess that is so the fastness and chasing are worth it.

Alexandra said...

Congrats on the weaning (not so much on the tantrums though!). Its a great pic.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that it's been so long since I've seen Jo. She has hair and is walking??? Makes me wonder what I've been doing to have missed so much. Weaning is such a big step, especially for the Mom. You deserve a big latte for that! Let's plan on meeting somewhere sooon. Much to catch up on.