This afternoon Rudy asked me to get his sun down from the shelf. He was talking about a construction paper project he made last summer in day care--his first "school" art project ever. He no longer goes to day care, and since his last day in February, has hardly mentioned his time there.
So when he asked for his sun, I told him that it was special and that we put it up on the shelf because we didn't want it to get (further) ripped. We want to save it.
He said, "I made that at my school."
I told him yes, that was right. He was quiet for a moment and then said,
"You closed the door and left me there."
Ouch.
I quickly tried to redirect, reminding him that he liked school, his teachers, the kids. And of course, that Papa and I always came back to get him. To which he replied, "But I don't want to go back to school now."
Oh honey, you don't have to go now, but soon enough. Soon enough.
2 comments:
All I can say is thank god kids don't remember anything when they're older. Katrina's said some stuff that's like an icy dagger in my chest. On the upside, the intentional wounding of our souls will come much later.
Oy, the guilt.
Post a Comment