January 19, 2009

Thank You, Dr. King

Today, in deference to the good works and words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and as President-elect Obama has called the country to service in his memory, we tried to do just a little better by our community. I baked cookies for all of the staff assistants in my department (who, unlike the students, did NOT have a holiday today) as a way to thank them for everything they do to help me do my job, and all four of us passed them out to delighted smiles, even while R & J both whined for some of their own. (Rudy did get a lollipop, so all was not lost.) We mailed a big care package out to a newly pregnant friend and donated some clothes to the Goodwill. Later in the afternoon, while Rudy watched Cars with Paul, I headed up to the HUB to donate blood for the first time since high school, I am ashamed to say. Unfortunately, my mild cold symptoms disqualified me as a donor this time, but I plan to donate the next time the Red Cross comes to town.

I'm writing all of this down not as a way to self-congratulate, but as a reminder of just how easy it was to accomplish. Really--a few hours and some small gestures beyond ourselves and this is how to build a service ethic.

This is me, attempting to start practicing what I preach so I can be a better model for my kids. And none of this is borne out of guilt--which I have surely felt before--but instead out of a true and singular feeling of inspiration.

So thank you, Dr. King, and thank you, President Obama. (in just one more day!)

No comments: