December 3, 2008

Christmas on the Planet Bilger

One of the treats of the holiday season for Paul is the simple cardboard Advent calendar which houses small chocolate treats behind each door. He loves these so much that we have not one, but four Santa and reindeer scenes pinned to the walls of the kitchen and dining room. (Never mind the obvious problem with secular and spiritual conflation here. We're still working that stuff out.)

When Paul came home from teaching today he asked me if Rudy had already ingested today's candy. Of course he had--immediately after breakfast. What three-year-old in the world can wait all day for such things? Here is the actual transcript:

"So, did he have his c-h-o-c-o yet?" Paul spelled. "What did it turn out to be?"

"It turned out to be a p-o-n-o-k!" said Rudy who was not about to be left out of the cryptic spelling fun.


That's right, everyone. Rudy has partaken of the Traditional Christmas Ponok, the rarest of holiday delights!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to point out that I am 26 years old and have never had a Christmas without a chocolate advent calendar. I, too, eat my chocolate after breakfast (but usually for breakfast). I'm sending a big high 5 Rudy's way...!